Thursday, August 31, 2017

Author Spotlight: Cherime MacFarlane



Today, Cherime MacFarlane joins me for an interview. She's a talented, multi-genre author who can capture a reader with a single sentence. I've read Highland Light, and my review will be posted at the end. But first, the interview.



Tell us a little bit about you. Where are you from? What kind of books do you write? How many books have you written? Do you set your stories in the area you live in?

I was born in New Orleans. We moved quite a bit, but mostly through the Eastern Seaboard, the South and out to the West Coast. I’m an Alaskan transplant and love it up here. I’ve also traveled through the UK and Ireland. The love of my life was from Glasgow, Scotland. 
So far, the count is around thirty books and several short stories. 

As far as genres go, it’s a mixed bag; contemporary romance, historical romance, fantasy and apocalyptic with a dash of supernatural thrown in. The Copper River Romances are all set in modern day Alaska. The Bressoffs of Alaska is a historical series set in 1800s Alaska. The MacGrough Clan spans time in Scotland from the 1300s until modern times. And the clan has a healthy dash of the second sight.

Most writers I know are voracious readers. What kind of books do you like to read? What’s your favorite book?

Favorite book I’ll take first. That has to be the Dragon Riders of Pern and the other that vies for second place is Crystal Singer. As you can probably guess from what I write, I’ll read almost anything except for erotica with no plot whatsoever and I do not read horror. Life can be horrible enough.

Let’s play a quick game of “This or That”. 
Real books or e-books? E-books.
Coffee or tea? Usually coffee, but I do drink tea.
Sweet or savory? Sweet.
Dogs or cats? Dogs and cats.
Summer or winter? An Alaska summer is to die for when the sun is out.
Morning or night? Morning so early it’s still dark. 

Would you mind telling us about your writing style? Such as: Do have a routine? Do you need complete silence or blaring music? Early morning writing or late night writing?
The only routine I have is the gym, then breakfast for myself and the critters. Music or lack thereof depends on the book and where my head is at that moment. Early morning writing is always the best. 

      Do you have a favorite “writing” snack?
      Toast and butter. 

Which do you think is the hardest to write: the first sentence or the last one?
The last. 


What is your biggest distraction while writing?   Facebook.

What is the best writing advice you’ve ever received?
Get it out there.

Do you have any advice for new writers?
Do not shy away from a new experience unless it will land you in jail or the hospital.

What’s next for you? What do your readers have to look forward to?
I do have a favorite couple, a young and his very large, mute, telepathic cat from Brain Waves. Cat and CoDee have left the desert world they met on and have embarked on a life as space traders. I’m two thirds finished with their newest adventure. They are a bonded pair but not able to physically join. But their emotional and telepathic connection makes up for a great deal. And I want to go back to what will be Scotland and the Eilan Water series. Ualan of The Other Side of Dusk promised to help Aed steal the woman he must have from Ireland. It is going to be a rough trip. 


Where can we connect with you? Tell is where to find you online.




FROM AMAZON: HIGHLAND LIGHT is a historical romance set in 1308 during the Scottish war for independence.

A young Scots girl cannot find a man who appreciates a headstrong plain woman. A small group of Knights Templar escape to Scotland to hide and start new lives. Among them is a young man, a ward of the Master of the Temple. The men have brought a treasure to Scotland. In exchange for a large share of the treasure, the knights may marry and be adopted into certain clans. No one must know of the agreement. Each man has a duty to the clan they are adopted into, and a duty owed to Robert The Bruce.

One young man has been with the Templars since the age of ten. He knows nothing of relationships or women. Their wedding is a business arrangement. Having no experience of sex or marriage, the young couple make a game of loving and learn of life together.

Let the games begin.

MY REVIEW: This the first book by Cherime MacFarlane that I've read. Without giving spoilers, I enjoyed the twist in the beginning as well as Gideon's inexperience--that's something not often seen in a romance. You can see the love bloom between Gideon and Ailene, and you come to care about them. While Gideon fights with Robert the Bruce in the war against England, Ailene finds herself keeping the glen safe for him. There are a couple of adventures that had me holding my breath, and the twist at the end was unexpected. I enjoyed reading Highland Light. I think anyone who likes books in this time period will too.

2 comments: