Thursday, September 21, 2017

Author Spotlight: Beverly Knauer



Today's featured author is Beverly Knauer. I'm glad she took the time to sit down for an interview so we can get to know more about her and her writing.


Tell us a little about you. Where are you from?

After I received my bachelor’s degree in occupational therapy from the University of Wisconsin–Madison, I moved to sunny San Diego, California, where I served in the role of Chief of Rehabilitation Services for the County of San Diego, working with other occupational and physical therapists who provide therapy to children with special needs. I received my master’s degree from San Diego State University.

I grew up with my mom, dad, brother, and two sisters, in Needham, Massachusetts before moving to Wauwatosa, Wisconsin. Other than spending hours playing in the wooded forest behind our house, what I remember the most from my early years is my desire to write; I’ve wanted to be a writer since I was ten years old, when my mother bought me the book Sal Fisher at Girl Scout Camp. I promptly began my own novel, with lined paper and fountain pen in hand, and called it Beverly Knauer at Girl Scout Camp. Okay … not very original. My next book, written at age twelve, was called My Life With The Indians.

When not writing, I enjoy wine tasting in the quaint city of Temecula, going barefoot whenever I can, spending too many hours on Pinterest, and indulging in chips, guacamole, and margaritas (frozen, with salt on the rim) while catching up with friends. When I’m in need of some relaxation, I take long walks with my pal, Jack—a black Lab—along the seashore.
(Jack. Isn't he adorable?)

What kind of books do you write? How many books have you written? Do you set your stories in the area you live in? 

I’ve always loved exploring esoteric wisdom and chose to become a writer to communicate transformative life experiences in the form of visionary fiction. Visionary/metaphysical fiction is not a well-known genre, so that is a challenge when promoting my books. I describe it as fiction that quietly and unobtrusively shifts the reader’s consciousness. The magical process of awakening is accomplished through the individual’s experience and his or her personal relationship with the story. The story’s message gently prods and pokes the sleeping bear within, to draw the reader to a place of internal change: a transformation that involves a letting go, a releasing of preconceived concepts, allowing for a transition—an emergence—to a higher level of consciousness. I like to embed my stories with messages and leave the reader with a sense of hope.
 I’ve published two novels. The Line Between is my debut work, and The Soul’s Hope was released this year. I was encouraged to start my third novel after The Line Between was a winner in the 11th annual NIEA awards contest and The Soul’s Hope was a finalist.

Most writers I know are voracious readers. What kind of books do you like to read? What’s your favorite book?

I love all sorts of books. I’m not one to get in a rut by reading only one or two genres. I’ve recently read quite a few advanced reader copies of manuscripts that fall into paranormal romance, epic fantasy YA, thriller, and suspense. Sometimes I’m in the mood for historical fiction; sometimes a good mystery sparks my soul. I like both non-fiction and fiction. The only books I find that really don’t rock my boat are stories about zombies, vampires, and graphic horror. My favorite book varies depending on the day I’m asked. My favorite childhood series was the Laura Ingalls Wilder Little House series. I also love the Stieg Larsson series, and Philip Kerr's Berlin Noir trilogy.

Let's play a quick game of "This or That".
Real books or e-books? Both! For traveling and while waiting at appointments, it’s e-books. When I’m home, I love hardback and paperbacks.
Coffee or tea? I live for coffee. I love it!

Sweet or Savory? I was always a sweet lover growing up, but as I get older, I think those taste buds must be drying up because I’m really enjoying savory.
Dogs or cats? Dogs! There are dogs in both of my books. Life isn’t the same without those wonderful fur babies.
Summer or winter? Winter, but winter in San Diego is fairly mild. Growing up in Massachusetts, we had lots of blizzards and it was not my favorite time of year. Actually, my favorite season is autumn.

Morning or night? Night. I love the dark, the stillness of the night. A black sky lit up by a brilliant moon and glittering stars is mesmerizing.

Would you mind telling us about your writing style? Such as: Do have a routine? Do you need complete silence or blaring music? Early morning writing or late nite writing?

I don’t use an outline, and I’m not like many authors that commit to writing a certain number of words a day. That kind of self-imposed rigidity stifles my creativity. I just let the words flow through my fingers as I type when I feel the inspiration. Then I go back again and again and again, revising, refining, editing, and polishing.
I usually write in the evenings after dinner. When I’m writing a sad part of the story, I put on headphones and write to soulful violin music. Music helps me to evoke emotions when I write, but I can’t work with blaring music.

 Do you have a favorite “writing” snack?

It would be a cup of coffee or a glass of wine.

Which do you think is the hardest to write: the first sentence or the last one?

The last sentence. It’s sometimes hard to know that perfect spot to end the story, and I want those final words to have a lingering effect on people—a lasting take-away that leaves the reader feeling satisfied.

What is your biggest distraction while writing?

The telephone with those darn constant robo calls. I do have to turn the phone off while I write.

What is the best writing advice you’ve ever received?

One of my favorite authors said to avoid writing a formula book like so many authors do, and to avoid writing something simply because it is trendy or popular. Write what your heart and soul demands. I found that when I follow that advice, I never get writer’s block. I allow my fingers to fly and write the words of my inner voice. That gives me a more authentic story.

Do you have any advice for new writers?

Write the story you’d most want to read. Don’t write a trendy story just because you think it might be a bestseller.
Engage your reader right off the bat. Many people have told me they drop a book if it doesn’t catch their attention within the first 50 pages. 
Focus on quality not quantity. If you self publish, don’t try to crank out one book after another without focusing on quality. It will come back to bite you. Editing is vital, so hire a professional. Make a concerted effort to put your best work out there. 

What’s next for you? What do your readers have to look forward to?

I’m working on my next novel now. I love to do the research behind my stories and that is where I am with it now. 

Where can we connect with you? Tell is where to find you online.


Book links

Amazon:
The Line Between:  http://a.co/3yOVCQll
The Soul’s Hope: http://a.co/cD5u3QG

Barnes and Noble: 


Sundance Bookstore



0 comments:

Post a Comment