Sunday, September 17, 2017

My Top Ten Horror Movies



I love horror movies. Real horror movies, not the ones that rely on gore to get a reaction (I'm looking at you, SAW franchise.). We're edging ever closer to fall (my favorite season) so I thought I'd share my top ten horror movies with you, in order from the least scary (to me) to most scary. (Full disclosure: I'm fairly certain I watched some of these when I was way too young to see them. Thanks, Mama.)

Child's Play. (1988) You remember this one? Deranged killer's spirit enters child's doll? That little SOB had me throwing all of my--and my sister's--dolls in the closet.


















Sinister. (2012) I watched this one when I was home alone one day. I was jumping throughout the whole movie--especially the end scene. I squealed a little too, at that end scene. Totally wasn't expecting it. I think the dogs laughed at me.

















Nightmare on Elm Street. (1984) I was maybe seven years old when I first saw this. Somewhere close to that age. Oh, man. I was afraid to go to sleep for a few days. I still jump during a few scenes. One of the true classics.

















The Others. (2001) I really love this movie. It's subtle, chilling, and superbly done. The first time I watched it, I gasped at the ending. Then I had to watch it again to see if I could spot the clues leading to the ending.

















Psycho. (1960) Another excellent classic. Janet Leigh's screams, the shadow of the knife, the shocking ending. I watch it at least once every "Halloween season".


















Children of the Corn. (1984) I watched this movie once. Once. The next day, my daddy took me to the corn field with him to help with gathering. I lasted less than an hour before I was begging him to take me home. I could feel those evil kids staring at me; hear them rustling in the rows. I haven't watched it since.













Halloween. (1978) Creepy music, a creepy man in a creepy mask, a killing spree. What's not to love? I like most of the movies that followed this iconic movie, but this one is my favorite from the franchise.















Hush. (2016) If you haven't watched this yet, I highly recommend it. I jumped my way through the movie and then made sure all my doors and windows were locked. A well-crafted, suspenseful movie that you can watch on Netflix.















The Strangers. (2008) My goodness. This one had me latching onto my husband and muffling screams. I think it got to me because it could really happen. (It's based on true events, but I won't spoil it by telling you what those events are.) This one even shook my husband a little.














IT. (1990) This is why I'm terrified of clowns. I watched this when I was way too young and it scarred me for life. Seriously. I can't handle clowns. I still have nightmares. I have no plans to see the newly-released movie version. Nope. (And Tim Curry was absolutely terrifying as Pennywise.)












And that's my list. I suggest getting a big bowl of popcorn, turning the lights down low, and having a fright-fest on the couch. What are some of your must-see horror films?




0 comments:

Post a Comment