Wednesday, October 4, 2017

Author Spotlight: David Boiani



David Boiani is in the spotlight today. I had fun reading his answers to the interview questions and finding out more about him and his writing.



Tell us a little about you. Where are you from? What kind of books do you write? How many books have you written? Do you set your stories in the area you live in? 

Hi, I am from Coventry, Rhode Island. I would probably be considered an author of psychological thrillers, although I stray outside those boundaries at times and venture into other sub-genres.

As of yet, I have not written about Rhode Island directly, but may use the location as a setting in the future.

I have written two books: a suspenseful crime/detective thriller called
 ‘A Thin Line’, 

and a collection of short stories called ‘Dark Musings’



 Most writers I know are voracious readers. What kind of books do you like to read? What’s your favorite book?

Like most writers, I am an avid reader. I am open to reading any genre as I believe it is the magic that the author brings to the story that makes it special, as opposed to just the subject matter. My favorite book is ‘The Fountainhead’ by Ayn Rand. I have read it five times and no other book has made me feel the way I do when I visit that universe. 

Let's play a quick game of "This or That".
Real books or e-books? Real books. The feel of the pages, the scent, and the feel of the actual book in my hands are all qualities I enjoy. I understand and appreciate the advantages of the E-book: price, availability, instant access, but I remain a proponent of the physical book.
Coffee or tea? Coffee. More taste. More caffeine. Coffee is fuel for writers.
Sweet or savory? I like all flavors.
Dogs or cats? Dogs. They are just much more human to me. Dogs ask for forgiveness when they screw up. Cats don’t ever feel they have screwed up. 
Morning or night? Nights. Only because that is when I am the most creative. As other authors will agree I’m sure, 2 AM to 5AM is a magical time.

Would you mind telling us about your writing style? Such as: Do have a routine? Do you need complete silence or blaring music? Early morning writing or late nite writing?

I believe I have an edgy, raw, dark writing style mixed with thoughts and philosophies on life that people may not entertain on a daily basis. I write whenever the ideas flow. I try not to force it and just let it come naturally. If that means I take a few days or a week off, so be it. Time, place doesn’t really matter to me.

Do you have a favorite writing snack?

Coffee. I don't eat when I write.

Which do you think is the hardest to write: the first sentence or the last one?

Definitely the first. Once I get going it is like riding a bike downhill. I usually have a pretty good idea how I want to end it, but that first sentence is very important and I think all authors feel the pressure of making that introduction special.

What is your biggest distraction while writing?

No outside distractions. The biggest frustration is when I just can’t seem to hit that tempo and it doesn’t feel natural. The flow seems rough or uneven. My mind frame while working through these rough patches is my biggest distraction.

What is the best writing advice you’ve ever received?

Do not write for publishers. Write for yourself. Follow your own instincts. It is not the story or the structure that makes the reading enjoyable, although those aspects help of course. The most important part of writing is putting your stamp or fingerprint on the prose. Make it your own. Follow your heart and try to be you only, not some famous author who has a contract with a large publishing house.

Do you have any advice for new writers?

Again, write for yourself. There are three qualities I try to capture when writing are:
1. Never, ever bore the reader. If you are bored writing it, how do you think a reader will feel reading it? 
2. Make the reader care about the characters and what is happening to them. You must make the reader feel emotionally vested.
3. A solid plot or story is only half the battle. You must make the ‘link’ chapters that aren’t pushing the twists and turns of the plot line forward, enjoyable. If we, as writers, can make those parts of the book as or more interesting than the actual plot, we have accomplished something special. 

What’s next for you? What do your readers have to look forward to?

I am currently writing ‘The redemption’, sequel to ‘A Thin Line’. I also have written a few stories
that will be included in my next collection.

Where can we connect with you? Tell is where to find you online.



       Amazon author page: https://www.amazon.com/David-Boiani/e/B01C0PRCK8

       Twitter: https://twitter.com/david_boiani


0 comments:

Post a Comment