Friday, October 13, 2017

Author Spotlight: O.N. Stefan


Today's featured author is O.N. Stefan, writer of thriller novels. Read on to find out more about O.N. and her writing.



Tell us a little bit about you. Where are you from? What kind of books do you write? How many books have you written? Do you set your stories in the area you live in? 

I'm an author and reader from Australia. I love creating something from the world around me. My characters are based on a composite of people I have known and people I’ve read about.
I love reading mysteries, thrillers and fantasy but am known to read sci fi or anything else that catches my attention. I enjoy Tai Chi and I have also learnt the sword and fan.
I uploaded my first mystery/thriller The Deadly Caress to Amazon Kindle at the end of January 2014. 
The seed for my second thriller Sleep then My Princess was planted many years ago when I was nine-years-old. Our family went to visit friends. My parents were sitting at their friends' dining table and the discussion was about a woman who lived across the road from these friends. This woman was minding a pre-school age child from Monday to Friday. 
This child slept in the chicken shed at night summer and winter and was only cleaned up before her mother came to pick her up on Friday evening. I was shocked as were my parents. 
This seed grew into a story which is part fiction and part fact.
When I was holidaying in Arizona, I came across a news report which had a startling similarity to that long remembered discussion between my parents and their friends and I knew I must write this story.

I am currently completing a third thriller, which is a sequel to The Deadly Caress due out later this year.


My stories are set in places I have visited. 

Most writers I know are voracious readers. What kind of books do you like to read? What’s your favorite book?

I read books by James Patterson, Lee Child, John Grisham, Clive Cussler, Jack Higgins, Ruth Rendell, Minette Walters and Sue Grafton.  However, I will read anything that captures my interest. If you have read a book that you loved, please let me know, so I may enjoy it too.


Let’s play a quick game of “This or That”.
 Real books or e-books? I’m comfortable reading a physical book or an ebook. I don’t mind which. I do like the facility on Kindle where I can check on a word if I am unfamiliar with it.
Coffee or tea? Tea
Dogs or cats? Dogs and cats.
Summer or winter?  I prefer summer to winter.
Morning or night? I’m an afternoon person and usually get more work done at that time of day.

Would you mind telling us about your writing style? Such as: Do have a routine? Do you need complete silence or blaring music? Early morning writing or late nite writing?
I guess I'm a plotter and a little bit panster as I usually have an outline but I don’t stick to it rigidly. I like to have a scene play out in my head before I sit down to type it. I don’t use notepads unless I’m away from a keyboard. I type fairly fast, so I find the act of physically writing down my thoughts too slow. If I have music playing, I don’t hear it as I’m totally in the world of my creation, so I don’t usually bother.
Do you have a favorite “writing” snack?
My favourite snack is apples, nuts, shortbreads and occasionally dark chocolate.

Which do you think is the hardest to write: the first sentence or the last one?

The first chapter is the hardest to write. Once I get that nailed, I’m happy.

What is your biggest distraction while writing?

My distractions are: books, movies and family.

What is the best writing advice you’ve ever received?
Writing is like learning to be a brain surgeon. Don’t expect to be good at this craft until you written 1,000 words.

Do you have any advice for new writers? 

Writing advice: sit down and write. Don’t worry if it’s not perfect, just keep going till you get to the last sentence. When you’re done, then you can go over it and correct it.

What’s next for you? What do your readers have to look forward to?

My next thriller, a sequel to The Deadly Caress will be out later this year.

Where can we connect with you? Tell is where to find you online.


The Deadly Caress: https://www.books2read.com/u/mBeMpA 
Get a 15 chapter preview: https://www.instafreebie.com/free/DTYLH

Sleep then my Princess: https://www.books2read.com/u/mqJld4
Get a 15 chapter preview: https://www.instafreebie.com/free/2g3hj

0 comments:

Post a Comment