Friday, October 16, 2015

My Review System



For those of you who may be wondering about they way I review books, I have outlined it below.

I read hundreds of books a year, and try to leave a review for all of them. Some are by well established, big name authors and some of them are by indie authors. I also read across various genres.

I base my review off of a variety of things. Was it a good story that kept my interest? Was the book well edited and (mostly) free of typos? I say mostly free, because almost every book has a small typo or two. Were the characters memorable? Was the writing clear? Did it flow smoothly?

I try my best not to leave a less-than-4-star review. As an author, I know how much work it takes writing a book and how much courage it takes to put it out there for the world to see. So I try to keep that in mind when I'm reviewing. I will try to contact the author if I feel the book deserves less than 4 stars.

If I can't contact the author, I'll weigh 3 stars or less against other books in the same genre to see if I should leave the review or let it go. Most of the time, I let it go. There have been a very few instances where I've given a lower review.

I leave reviews on Amazon and Goodreads. I will leave them on other sites if the author requests it. I only post 4 and 5 star reviews on my blog.

I try to be fair in all aspects because I would want the same consideration from others reviewing my books. And, as authors, I believe we should encourage one another and build each other up.

If you're an author who would like me to review your book, or if you have a book suggestion for me, please contact me at the link at the top of this blog. We'll discuss it.

0 comments:

Post a Comment