Thursday, September 7, 2017

Author Spotlight: Jim Mosquera


Today's Author Spotlight features Jim Mosquera. Jim was kind enough to sit down and answer some questions for me, so that all of us can find out more about him and his writing.



Tell us a little about you. Where are you from? What kind of books do you write? How many books have you written? Do you set your stories in the area you live in?

I’m an immigrant from Panama (the country with the canal!) who relocated to the Midwest (Missouri) as a young lad.  One thing most people don’t know is that my first language was Spanish.  I actually have a very flat accent in both languages.  

I started writing non-fiction and then to fiction.  The non-fiction writing is about finance/economics/government while addressing why humans do the things they do in this realm.  

My most recent non-fiction book, Escaping Oz: An Observer’s Reflections is written in a unique style.  There is an Introduction and a Conclusion chapter with nine other chapters in between.  Within each chapter there are series of short “articles” to allow the reader time to think about what they just read.  In fact, this is one book that need not be read in order — you can skip around!  This book is timely and relevant in an increasingly polarized society.  The topics raised force the reader to think and more importantly, ask the right questions.  When you don’t ask the right questions, it’s hard to arrive at the right answer.  This book is available in print, e-book, and audio.

My fictional thriller series (3 novels) centers on a young journalist by the name of Chandler Scott.  The series is set in the United States a few years into the future.  Each successive book has an accelerating pace to mimic what happens with crises — they happen slowly then suddenly.  

The first book, 2020, tracks events in the United States before the 2020 presidential election.  There are characters that live through the 3 novels, several of which are mentors to Chandler.  The pace of 2020 starts slow since Chandler’s learning in addition to the characters transmitting social messages to the reader.  The second half of the book accelerates wildly towards a climactic finish.  It will leave readers wondering if such a thing could really happen.

The second novel is called Rebellium and starts immediately after the first ends.  It is a reaction to what happens in the first one.  It is faster-paced than 2020 and introduces a character that will really make you look differently at the world around you.  The third novel is called Division and is paced faster than the second, again to mimic real life crises.  

The novels deal with politics, financial crisis, cyber terror and the media’s role in all of it.  The novels are a cautionary tale of the US’ future.  Much like my non-fiction work, you will be forced to think about the world around you.  The novel series features many locations I have personally visited or lived so it contributes to the texture of the story.  


I have a total of 3 non-fiction and 3 fiction books and 3 on audio.

Most writers I know are voracious readers. What kind of books do you like to read? What's your favorite book?

You’re spot on with that observation.  I read all the time.  Most of my reading has been non-fiction though in the last few years, fiction has consumed more of my reading time.  I’ve read many books on economics, finance, commodity trading, government and what I’ll term sociological/societal issues.  

In the fiction realm, I’ve enjoyed Dan Brown and Tom Clancy.  I don’t know that I have a favorite book as such.

Let's play a quick game of "This or That".
Real books or EbooksI’m gonna fudge on the first one.  There’s nothing like the feel of a book in your hands.  That said, I have a strong technology orientation and love the portability of e-books.  But if it’s my last day on Earth, I’ll take the real book.
Coffee or TeaDon’t drink coffee so I’d have to say tea, herbal please!
Sweet or Savory: Savory!
Dogs or CatsDogs.  I’ve never owned a cat and am mildly allergic to them!
Summer or WinterSummer.  I’m originally from Panama where it’s summer all the time.  I like the idea of wearing shorts and light shirts and having an ocean at my beckon call.
Morning or NightMorning.  There are few things as profound as watching the sun rise or the glint of sunlight bouncing off something aesthetically pleasing.  I’ve spent a few miles on my road bicycle in the early morning hours.

Would you mind telling us about your writing style? Such as: Do you have a routine? Do you need silence or blaring music? Early morning writing or late night writing?

I can write at any time.  Sometimes if I’m reading something (on my tablet), I might get an idea that I can use for a book, and I’ll open a note application and jot it down.  Or I might be on a trip and make a mental note of something, or take a picture of it for later reference…gotta love cell phone cameras!  Given the choice, I’ll take writing in the morning, however.

Do you have a favorite "writing" snack?

I don’t snack much so I guess I don’t.

Which do you think is the hardest to write: the first sentence or the last one?

The last one.  I always worry about how a story ends.  Does it have to be dramatic?  Does it just fade off into the sunset?  My novel series ends with the protagonist, Chandler Scott, engaged in reflection, thinking about his involvement in the latest crisis and what may lie ahead.

What is your biggest distraction while writing?

The computer and any open browser windows or email notifications.

What is the best writing advice you've ever received?

Honestly, I wish I could say that someone sat me down and conveyed their author wisdom.  This has not happened, sadly.  I’m a self-taught person in many disciplines so much of what I’ve done is by research and experimentation.

Do you have any advice for new writers?

Read, read, and read before you venture into it.  I don’t just mean read about how to be a writer, but read as in educate yourself and learn the language.  Language is being diluted with the profusion of social media channels available for expression.  Of necessity these channels are brief (140 characters) or limited in other ways.  This limits the extension of thought.  I often see misspelled words on TV from news outlets in their headlines or in the tickers running at the bottom of the screen.

Once you start writing, do it for fun instead of commercial gain.  The advent of indie authors is good news and bad news, especially from a supply perspective.  Also, publishing a book costs $$$ unless you’re willing to assume many of the tasks yourself.

What's next for you? What do your readers have to look forward to?

My next project will probably be recording the third book in the novel series, Division.  The audio market is an untapped frontier for indie authors and frankly, some people have more time to listen to a book than to read one.  

There is another novel I’ve contemplated that will be a thriller/sci-fi tale with the theme of death.  I suspect if I finish that novel, it will make people think about their mortality in a different way.

Where can we connect with you? Tell us where to find you online.

My author site is www.JimMosquera.com.  There you’ll find links to my books, my own e-book store where I sell EPUB titles with good prices, and other resources.  



0 comments:

Post a Comment