Friday, November 3, 2017

Author Spotlight: E.M. McIntyre

Today's featured author is E.M. McIntyre, author of  YA novels. Keep reading to find out more about her and her writing.

Tell us a little bit about you. Where are you from? What kind of books do you write? How many books have you written? Do you set your stories in the area you live in?
Minnesota is my birth state, but I have spent the last 4 decades living in Omaha, NE. I currently write YA fantasy (but who knows, maybe someday I’ll venture into a different genre) and have published the first two books of my Red King Trilogy. My stories take place in Scotland; I was fortunate to spend eleven days there during the summer of 2001. I fell instantly in love with the Highlands and, well, everything about that land so far from my home. I didn’t know it then, but a day-trip I made to climb Ben A’an (a popular miniature mountain) would shape my future goals.

Most writers I know are voracious readers. What kind of books do you like to read? What’s your favorite book?
I love all things fantasy, but will gladly read anything scary, creepy, ghostly, mysterious, or thrilling. There are too many good books out there for me to pick a favorite, but one I read recently that excited me was Mist Falcon: Book One of The Warrior Poet Archives by Ryan Doughan. Superb Epic Fantasy. 

Let’s play a quick game of “This or That”. 
Real books or e-books? Hmmm....e-books are my general go-to, but if it’s a good/special book, I must have it physically on my bookshelf! 
Sweet or savory? Sweet, definitely sweet – I’m the only person in my direct family afflicted with the sweet tooth.
Dogs or cats? Dogs! That shouldn’t even be a question *wink*. There are three sleeping behind me as I type – two Italian Greyhounds and one Greyhound.
Summer or winter? Summer, because anything below 70˚F and I’m freezing all day.
Morning or night? Morning – as soon as the sun goes down, it’s time for pajamas.

Would you mind telling us about your writing style? Such as: Do have a routine? Do you need complete silence or blaring music? Early morning writing or late night writing?
Before I can even begin writing a new project, I must have a solid outline planned, mainly major scene by scene. I use Scrivener as my software of choice, and once said outline is accomplished, I’m ready to roll. I normally write on the weekends, locked away in my bedroom with only the hum of the fish tank next to me. I start as soon as I’ve had breakfast and work most of the day, breaking for lunch, until I hit my 1000 word quota.

Do you have a favorite “writing” snack?
Nope, my tummy is on a strict schedule. 

Which do you think is the hardest to write: the first sentence or the last one?
For me, the hardest part is creating my outline, followed closely by the first sentence.

What is your biggest distraction while writing?
The pretty fish tank next to me, the open blinds to the street, and I’d be lying if I didn’t include Facebook! 

What is the best writing advice you’ve ever received?
Best advice received: beta readers, beta readers, beta readers! Well, and, don’t self-edit.

Do you have any advice for new writers?
Find what works for you in terms of how to write, when to write, where to write, etc, and stick with it. Don’t worry about what other authors are doing. It’s okay if Suzie Q publishes 5 books in the time it takes you to write one.

What’s next for you? What do your readers have to look forward to?
Next up is the conclusion of The Red King Trilogy. I’m in the outlining stages with the hope of putting down the first word over winter vacation of 2017. 

Where can we connect with you? Tell is where to find you online.



0 comments:

Post a Comment