Thursday, August 24, 2017

Author Spotlight: Eileen Sheehan


This is the first of my Thursday Spotlights, and I'm pleased to introduce you to prolific author Eileen Sheehan today. She was kind enough to sit down for an interview. It was fun getting to know her and her books a little better. I'm going to jump straight into the interview.




     Tell us a little bit about you. Where are you from? What kind of books do you write? How many books have you written? Do you set your stories in the area you live in? 


I was born in Binghamton, NY.  I live in a small village not far from there now with my two muses, a Maine-coon cat named Justin and a miniature schnauzer named Jackson. I call them my muses because they both sit at (or sometimes on) my feet when I write. I can’t imagine writing something without them nearby.   I write in several genres and keep things organized by using a different author name per genre.  I use my legal name of Eileen Sheehan for the paranormal romance/thrillers I write – of which I have 13 published and two in the process of being written.  I write with the author name of Ailene Frances for historical romance.  I have 2 published and one being released on September 1, 2017. I experimented with writing in the alternative romance genre and have one book published with the author name of E. F. Sheehan. And, lastly, I have a 4 self-help books published with the author name of Lena Sheehan.     I started out as a traditionally published author, but I was so disappointed with the quality of the published book and the exorbitant prices my publisher was charging, I was lucky enough to negotiate the return of the rights to the 4 works they had under contract and I became an Indie publisher.  It’s the best thing I could have done for both myself and my readers.  A book that my publisher charged 25.99 for in print and 8.99 for in E-book is now 14.99 in print and 3.99 in E-book.  I’m happy with the quality and my readers are definitely happy with the savings. 

As for where the stories are set… Yes, I have set some of them in the areas that I’ve either lived in or was visiting at the time. The best example of that is my Turgurlan Chronicle trilogy. Book 1, Vampire Iniquity, was written while I was on an extended stay in Las Vegas.  It starts out in NYC and takes you to the Owego, NY area (30 miles west of Binghamton, NY) and then on to Las Vegas.  Book 2, The Cure, starts out in Owego, NY and then takes you to Phoenix, where I lived for almost a decade.  Book 3, Vampires and Werewolves, take you back to Middletown, NY (my stomping ground for years) and then back to Owego, NY, etc. 


      Most writers I know are voracious readers. What kind of books do you like to read?      What’s your favorite book? 


My favorite authors -  and my inspiration- are Charlene Harris and Rosemary Rogers.  That’s kind of a crazy combination, but they both touch aspects of me that make their stories stick with me long after I’ve read the last page.

Let’s play a quick game of “This or That”. Real books or e-books? Coffee or tea? Sweet or savory? Dogs or cats? Summer or winter? Morning or night?


*Not only am I an advocate of going ‘green’, but I enjoy the convenience of being able to pull out my smart phone when I’m in a situation that gives me free time and start reading.  E-book all the way for me.
*I’m a coffee buff.  My French press gets almost as much TLC from me as my family does.
*I love my sweets!
*I truly can’t choose between a dog or a cat.  I enjoy them both equally.
* Summer is my preference. I’m not big on cold… so, why do I live in the north? Good question
* I’m a night owl. I come alive after 9pm and do my best writing after midnight.

Would you mind telling us about your writing style? Such as: Do have a routine? Do you need complete silence or blaring music? Early morning writing or late nite writing?


*I can write almost anywhere and under any conditions, but I find myself mostly writing in silence.  This is mainly because I get so wrapped up in the story that my surroundings disappear and I haven’t a clue if the tv or radio is on or off.  Since I don’t know the difference, it makes sense to conserve energy and not have things turned on.

*I write throughout the day.  I start every day going over what I’ve already written while drinking a cup of coffee. When time allows, I write a little more in the afternoon, and then do serious sit down and create in the evening until about 2am.


     Do you have a favorite “writing” snack?  


     No.

     Which do you think is the hardest to write: the first sentence or the last one?


For me it is getting started with the first sentence/chapter.  After that, things just take a life of their own.


What is your biggest distraction while writing?


The telephone.


    What is the best writing advice you’ve ever received?


     The best advice I’ve received is to write what I like for me, but do it to the absolute best of      my ability.     

      Do you have any advice for new writers?


Have confidence in yourself. Writers are artists in their own right and -like most artists- have a fragility about them when it comes to their creations. A few negative comments or reviews could tempt you to quit. Not everyone is going to like your work, but there are enough out there who will. Just be persistent and confident that you will find them. There’s that old saying, “Most overnight successes took 10 years.”   Don’t give up.

What’s next for you? What do your readers have to look forward to?


I’m started writing book 2 of the Shadow Love trilogy.  It’s going well, but something inside me bubbled up and caused me to set it aside so that I can create yet another paranormal romance that surrounds Halloween…. Or All Hallows Eve. I’ve titled it, “The Kiss”.  So, I’m writing that first and then I’ll continue with book 2 of Shadow Love.  Since I’m an indie writer and normally create a book in 3-6 weeks, I’m fairly confident “The Kiss” will be out in time for Halloween.

     Where can we connect with you? Tell is where to find you online.  

      
          My email address is contact@sheehan-author.info    Or  contact@ailenefrances.info
     
          Websites:  www.sheehan-author.info   or    www.ailenefrances.info

         Twitter:  https://twitter.com/AuthorSheehan
          
         Eileen Sheehan Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/eileensheehan.4
          Fb Novel fan pages for those who are partial to specific books: 
        DARK ESCAPE & THE SEARCH FOR THE CRYSTAL KEY: https://www.facebook.com/Dark-       Escape-1802101666768012/
        FOR LOVE OF A VAMPIRE: https://www.facebook.com/For-Love-of-a-Vampire-500810526927843/
        THE TUGURLAN CHRONICLES: https://www.facebook.com/tugurlanchronicles/
        THE PRINCESS AND THE VAMPIRE KING: https://www.facebook.com/authorsheehan/

        Ailene Frances Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/ailenefrances
        Fb Novel fan pages for those who are partial to specific books: 
        LOVE MISUNDERSTOOD: https://www.facebook.com/ailene.frances.author/


Be sure to check out all of Eileen's links, websites, and books! You just may find your next favorite read!

6 comments:

  1. Eileen Sheehan, you come across as a person in love with her work, and that is half the battle in this book writing business. I enjoyed reading your interview. Best of luck with your endeavors. Linda Lee Greene Author & Artist

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Beth, for providing me the opportunity of letting readers know a little about me through the interview. I agree with the commenters... you did a great interview! I also want to thank everyone for your nice remarks and good wishes. Eileen Sheehan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad you agreed to be interviewed! Thanks again. :)

      Delete