Wednesday, December 13, 2017

Author Spotlight: Holly Sparks

I met Holly on Wattpad and quickly became a fan of her writing. Our online meeting progressed into friendship, and I'm pleased to feature her and her books today. Keep reading to see her books and my reviews of them.


Tell us a little bit about you. Where are you from? What kind of books do you write? How many books have you written? Do you set your stories in the area you live in? 

  • Hi! I’m Holly. I’m the author of The Enrule Series and currently a student at University studying Creative Writing. I’m from the United Kingdom and apparently I have a British accent but I can’t hear it myself. Ha! I don’t think a lot of us can hear our own accents. 
  • I’ve written two books currently and I’m taking a break from my series and working on a fantasy retelling as we speak.
Most writers I know are voracious readers. What kind of books do you like to read? What’s your favorite book?

  • I am such a passionate reader that it breaks my heart at the moment, as I’m so clogged up with essays and deadlines with my student life, that I haven’t had a chance to read anything. I’ve been reading the same book for about two months now. It sucks.
  • My favourite genre is typically fantasy/dystopian and I do like he occasional horror and contemporary.
  • My favourite book is WITHOUT A DOUBT ‘A Court of Mist and Fury’ by Sarah J. Maas. I’m so excited as I’m going to see her on stage in two weeks! I’m a total fangirl.

Let’s play a quick game of “This or That”.  Real books or e-books?  Coffee or tea? Sweet or savory? Dogs or cats? Summer or winter? 
Morning or night?

  • REAL BOOKS! Definitely! I love the smell, the feel and I love looking at my bookshelves! 
  • Tea. I loooove tea. I hate coffee…however, I adore coffee cake. I know…I’m a total weirdo.
  • SWEEEET! Total chocolate addict over here.
  • Dogs are the cutest thing in the entire world.
  • Summer girl here.
  • Morning… I love mornings. There is so much the day can bring. I’m scared of the dark so I hate nights.
Would you mind telling us about your writing style? Such as: Do have a routine? Do you need complete silence or blaring music? Early morning writing or late nite writing?

  • Well, I love to plan out time to write and organise myself. I haven’t had a chance to write anything new for a while being a student but when that summer holiday comes I’ll be writing every day—morning through to night until that first draft is DONE. I’m more of an early morning writer and I like to have silence as I can’t seem to concentrate otherwise. That’s very difficult to get seeing as my sister does not stop gossiping. 
Do you have a favorite “writing” snack?

  • Anything covered in chocolate and lots of tea.

Which do you think is the hardest to write: the first sentence or the last one?

  • The last one. I ADORE first sentences. They are the first selling point of the book.

What is your biggest distraction while writing?

  • My family tend to disrupt me quite a bit and I always get distracted with food. I’m a foodie, what can I say?

What is the best writing advice you’ve ever received?

  • The first draft is always AWFUL. Ha! Never forget that one.

Do you have any advice for new writers?

  • Keep at it. Read. Write. Read. Write. The better reader you are, the better writer.

What’s next for you? What do your readers have to look forward to?

  • I’m currently writing a fantasy novel based on a Cinderella retelling but with a HUGE twist that you may not even recognise the fairy tale within.
Where can we connect with you? Tell is where to find you online.







  • Twitter: https://mobile.twitter.com/hollgal123 
  • From Amazon: I remember waking to the scream. I remember calling my sister's name. I remember seeing the blood smeared along the staircase. I remember the creature's green eyes. They say there's a cure. They say there's a way to stop this madness, a way to stop the hunger. I think they're lying. My name is Ella, and this is my story. In this exhilarating debut, Holly Sparks presents a horrifying post-apocalyptic world, a remarkable heroine, and an unforgettable adventure.

  • My Review: (5 stars) Holly Sparks is a new author to keep your eye on. I don't often read books with this concept. With that being said, I have to tell you that I fell in love with Enrule. Sparks has created a world that the main character, Ella, must navigate carefully in order to survive. Ella is strong and determined, the supporting characters are well-written, and the description sucks you right it. The writing flows smoothly, and there are enough twists and turns to keep you guessing. I'm so impressed with Book 1 that I'm actively wishing for Book 2.

  • From Amazon: ‘She sits back on her throne, picking the flesh off the bones that surround her, grinning like the demon she is.’ I am a murderer. I am a monster. We trudge on for hours. The orange glow of the sun at its highest point fills us with warmth, protecting us from the harsh chilly night. It rises into the sky as I watch the beautiful scene play out, as if the world is worth living in, as if the sun is telling us to keep on fighting. Just when things seem to be going according to plan, an odd smell fills the air. A familiar smell. The rotting breeze travels with the wind, wrapping around my senses. I grab my sword and look around slowly. My breathing becomes hauntingly ragged as I clench my hands into fists. Crimson stained eyes. Mangled skin. A roar of starvation. Zombies.

  • My Review: (5 stars) This is a fantastic follow-up to Enrule. I'm blown away by the imagery and action in this book. Sparks knows how to engage your emotions from the first page. This is an author to watch, and I'll be reading her future books.

0 comments:

Post a Comment